PORTLAND, OR — Wacom, the maker of pen & tablet solutions, has partnered with animator Mike Morris to launch Cartoon Crunch!, a reality show-styled mini-series about the process, pitfalls and breakthroughs of making cartoons, all in the course of one week. Morris is the creator of the LightBox Animation Dance Party and Panelpalooza.
Two teams of four student animators will be selected to take on the task of creating an animated short with the guidance of professional mentors in story, production design and animation. The whole process will play out remotely. The teams will be challenged to create an animation of :45 or less while pushing their limits.
All college juniors and seniors in the US, Canada and Latin America, who are looking to break into the animation industry, are encouraged to enter. To be considered, they must have the following:
- Webcam, preferably one with the ability to capture 1080p video
- A computer with screen recording capabilities
- A secondary camera for recording additional “in-action” footage
The judges and organizers of Cartoon Crunch are all located in North America, therefore all entries must be in English, and all mentorship will be provided during PST.
To enter, submit the following items to email@example.com:
- Your animation portfolio – PDF or movie files are acceptable. Please limit your PDF to 10 pages maximum.
- A video of you answering the following questions: Who are you? What do you do in the animation realm? What are your aspirations?
The deadline to enter is August 21st at 11:59pm PST. Winners will be chosen and notified by August 15th.
Submissions will be carefully reviewed by Mike Morris and the Wacom Community Team.
Each student animator will receive a Wacom One and Wacom-sponsored stipend.